After several seasons of carrying a heavy purse, I decided that for summer I would take a lighter approach. While I love my big bags, quite honestly, they can be straining on the shoulders and lugging them around can be a workout. True story: I went to my Doctor about four years ago because I was having chest pains. At the age of 25, I thought I was having signs of a heart attack. Typical hypochondriac behavior, I suppose (guilty!) Well, it turns out I wasn’t so crazy. No, not a heart attack but the pain I was having was similar and it was caused by carrying a heavy purse. If you’re interested, here’s the medical mumbo jumbo on this condition, which affects mostly women and is very treatable. The Rx: lighten your purse!
I spotted the Melie Bianco Jane bag and knew that it would be the perfect summer purse. I loved the structure and neutral taupe color, and I love it even more in use.
I love being “handsfree” with the crossbody, and even though this purse is tiny, it still fits everything I need. I had to make a few sacrifices, but I’m considering it doctor’s orders. The interior of the bag has a zippered pouch and two inserts that just scream “fill me with tubes of lipgloss.”
This may look like a lot, but I assure you, it all fits.
- Boscia Blotting Linens: We stockpile these in every scent – this is the Rose.
- Ahava Dermud Hand Cream: This tube was actually in my January Birchbox. I use it often, and there’s still some in there! I love this for the purse, because the twist-off cap eases any spill concerns.
- Sephora Electric Safari Pouch: This is a perfect makeup bag for small purses. I put Band-Aids, contact drops, a few brushes and powder in here.
- Pangea Organics Lip Balm: Another Birchbox sample! They come in the best scents and are so soothing – this is Italian Red Mandarin with Rose.
- Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy: I’ve been using this one a lot lately. I swap out my lip products frequently with this bag, as it doesn’t allow me to hoard a dozen!
- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Luster in Glisten: These glossy pencils are so lovely. They give lips a dewy look, and Glisten is the perfect summer peach shade with a touch of coral.
- Bobbi Brown Face Touch-Up Stick: The most useful thing ever for the purse. I use this constantly.
- Benefit Porefessional: My second tube of this self-proclaimed “miracle” product. Can’t be without.
- GoSmile Touch-Up Ampoule: Now that I’ve whitened my teeth, these Touch Ups are essential for mid-day polishing.
The other items are the purse usuals, wallet, phone, bus pass, keys, headphones, hair ties, etc. The sunglasses always rest on top, because that’s always the item that never wants to fit but that I refuse to be without. Amazingly, it all fits. Turns out, downsizing doesn’t have to be inconvenient!