Meet Jodi, an Education and Artistry Executive for MAKE UP FOR EVER. She’s got more than a decade in the makeup artist biz, and is pro at applying make up for on-air and for the every day woman. In fact, before she joined MUFE, she used to work for ABC News in Chicago as the show’s assistant makeup artist. Her philosophy is that make up is a necessary accessory that can help create a different mood or style. Amen, right?
I had a chance to sit down with Jodi last month and she worked her magic on me at a café! The most glamorous coffee date I’ve had in months. And informative, too. We had an extensive discussion on color matching and the brand’s HD foundation. Her advice come summer when your skin tone may darken? Add a drop of the HD Microperfecting Primer in Caramel to your HD Foundation to tint it a bit (and make it super smooth and long lasting!)
Jodi graciously let us peek into her makeup bag. Read on to find out her must have beauty essentials!
1. MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Concealer #320. My miracle worker and every day essential. As a working makeup artist for 12 years, MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Concealer is my #1 go to and favorite product both personally and professionally. The silicone applicator allows for precise application and quick touch ups. The formulation provides medium to full coverage without creasing. Thanks to the HD technology, the concealer blends seamlessly into the skin while neutralizing discoloration under the eyes. HD Invisible Concealer #320 is a perfect shade for eliminating dark circles and as a highlighter for the center of the face for fair to medium skin tones.
2. MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Blush #6 Quickie. As a makeup artist, one of my favorite techniques is demonstrating the power of blush. Blush should appear as a natural flush tone to the skin. HD Blush #6 is the perfect shade to mimic a natural healthy glow. The matte finish and light weight creamy texture works for all skin types including oily skin. I love the versatility and multi uses of the HD Blush collection. For those days when I don’t have time to apply a full face, I use the HD Blush on the eyes, lips and cheeks for a soft monochromatic look. To achieve a sheer wash of color, apply the blush with a stipple or foundation brush. For an instant pop of color, my personal favorite application is with fingers.
3. MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Natural #N10. I love the feel of gloss, but prefer a lip product with more staying power. Rouge Artist Natural encompasses both the hydration of a lip balm and a natural finish of a gloss with a pop of color. The ultra-creamy texture is enriched with nourishing properties lasting up to 8 hours. Not only does the lipstick look good, but the ingredients are good for you. Rouge Artist Natural #N10 is an iridescent copper pink and pairs perfectly with a smoky eye or as an everyday lip.
4. MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Shadow #4E and #20E. Created for Aqua Ballet dancers, MAKE UP FOR EVER’S Aqua Shadows are water proof, smudge proof and crease proof. Thanks to its large tip, the jumbo pencil is easy to apply in one smooth application with immediate color pay off. The creamy texture deposits the ideal amount of product and blends quickly and easily with fingers or a brush. Aqua Shadow 4E matte smoky taupe gray is the idea shade to take a look from day to night in one simple step. The lighter shade, 20E pearly taupe can be applied to create a touch of light as an illuminator for the inner corner of the eyes and the brow bone.
5. Fresh Citron De Vigne Eau De Parfum Roller Ball. Inspired by Reims, France’s Champagne region, Fresh Citron de Vigne is a crisp, sparkling, and unique scent. The combination of citrus with an earthy base is a perfect scent for every day. The Eau De Parfum Roller Ball is ideal for travel and mid-day pick me ups. Citron De Vigne is a subtle aroma for even the most sensitive noses.
6. Breath Saver 3 hour mints. The first rule of makeup artistry: fresh breath. Never leave home without mints. For those up close and personal moments, my favorite is Breath Saver 3 hour mints. The mints have a refreshing and long lasting effect.
7. L’Occitane Hand Cream. Although hand sanitizer is a must, I find my hands are often dry from constant use of the product. L’Occitane Hand Cream is a super-creamy balm that penetrates the skin quickly to protect, moisturize, and replenish dehydrated hands. Formulated with Shea Butter and the scent of Lavender essential oils, L’Occitane Hand Cream is aromatherapy for my hands.