Fashion and beauty are natural companions. Which is why I think I have such a great connection with Product Girl’s newest contributor, Emily. She also hails from Chicago, and happens to spend about 40 hours each week with yours truly. (Yes, we work together.) Since the moment I met her, I’ve been doling out beauty tips and she’s been telling me what shoes to buy. As much as we love sharing beauty and style tips with each other, it seems more fitting for Emily join to us on Product Girl and share her POV with all of you. She’ll be posting a weekly column here about all of her style finds and pairing them with a beauty item of choice.
But before Emily gets started, we wanted you to know a little bit more about her. Read on!
What are your 5 beauty must-haves?
1) Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer – I have been using this moisturizer for years and I swear by it. It’s lightweight, absorbs quickly and is not slick or greasey.
2) Bobbi Brown Corrector – I have the unlucky combination of genetics and a busy schedule which results in frustrating under-eye circles. For years I’ve searched for a magical product that will make them disappear and I’ve finally found it. The pink undertones of Bobbi’s corrector offset dark circles and the creamy texture is easy to blend.
3) Maybelline “The Falsies” Mascara – Who says you have to spend a fortune on mascara to get the drama, color and curl you covet? This mascara delivers right amount of curl and length without clumping.
4) NARS Bronzer in Laguna – This cult favorite flatters all skin tones and delivers natural-looking color.
5) Urban Decay ‘Naked’ palette (the original) – Shades range from a matte nude to a metallic grey. The colors are great on their own or can be layered for a more dramatic look.
What’s your beauty splurge?
Josie Maran Argan Oil. Product-Girl introduced me to Argan Oil a year ago. The word “oil” scared me off at first, but this bottle is worth every penny. I use it in the winter to rehydrate my wind-blown skin and treat split-ends.
Tell us your go-to outfit on a Friday night.
I’m all about comfort and ease when it comes to fashion. My Friday night “uniform” is a pair of dark skinnies (I love J Brand), nude pumps, a comfy tee (I like James Perse and Vince) and a shrunken blazer. I top it off with a piece of statement jewelry, like a long pendant necklace or men’s watch and I’m out the door!
What are your favorite stores to shop?
It’s become a joke amongst my friends that all of the items in my closet come from Anthropologie. While that’s not (entirely) true, it is one of my go-to stores because they carry some of my favorite brands – J Brand, AG Denim and Splendid. I also frequent Madewell, Zara and Bloomingdale’s. I’m a sucker for flash discount sites like Rue La La and Gilt Groupe – I love getting a good deal!
You never leave the house without…
Chapstick. I’m seriously addicted to the stuff – I always make sure I have Burt’s Bees or Korres Lip Butter in my bag.
What’s the one item in your closet you will never wear again but refuse to get rid of?
The gorgeous light blue raw silk dress that I wore as maid of honor in my sister’s wedding. I’ll never put it on again but it’s a beautiful dress and has great memories associated with it. Also, a pair of fabulous Modern Vintage black leather studded cap-toe pumps. They are incredibly sexy…but impossible to walk in!