This week we’re taking a look inside Ning Chao’s makeup bag. Ning is the beauty director for Beautylish, one of my favorite beauty websites. I rarely watch YouTube videos but I do, I start at Beautylish. Ning is a beauty addict just like us. Prior to her role at Beautylish, she was the senior beauty editor at Marie Claire and also spent some time at In Style, Elle, Vogue and Glamour. Ning knows beauty. Laurie and I both had the pleasure of meeting Ning at a dinner party in New York when we were there in May and Ning is a sweetheart. You know how some women are naturally radiant and gorgeous? I think Ning is one of them.
Let’s take a peek at what’s insider her bag with commentary from Ning herself:
- MAC Eye Shadow in Carbon: The blackest black eye shadow. A smoky eye essential, I also use this for cat eye looks.
- MAC Blushcreme in Brit Wit: This cream formula makes my skin look like it’s glowing but not greasy. It’s the perfect shade of neutral pink that blends right into my natural flush.
- Shiseido Dual-Balancing Foundation in O40: Makeup artist Dick Page used this foundation on me backstage during Fashion Week once and it’s awesome. It looks totally natural, but stays in place all day (it’s even sweat-proof!), perfecting and evening out my skin tone.
- Smashbox Halo in Light: Since I moved to Los Angeles, I no longer wear foundation every day. On most mornings, I just dust this mineral powder over my sunscreen to avoid the white pasty look—and that’s it.
- Shiseido #7 Brow Brush: My brows are already dark and pretty full, so I don’t fill them in with pencil or powder. I just use this brow brush to clean up any foundation or sunscreen residue in the hairs. Those black plastic lash comb/brow combo brushes are so scratchy. The natural bristles on this Shiseido brush are soft but still firm enough to sweep my brows in shape.
- Laura Mercier Smoky Eye Pencil Brush: This makes it so easy to do a smoky eye. First I blend out the pencil with this brush and then I apply shadow on top using the same brush.
- Hakuhodo brushes: Makeup artist Pati Dubrof recommended these at a Makeup Show seminar and I had to buy them. They’re super soft and I use them for my cream blush and foundation.
- Shiseido Foundation Brush: Sometimes you discover the perfect tool for a certain task and it’s like: Eureka! That’s how I feel about this foundation brush. The tapered synthetic bristles are genius for smoothing and blending at the same time and make my makeup application much faster.
- Kanebo Sensai 38C Separating and Lengthening Mascara in Black: This is my all-time favorite mascara. It’s pricey, but I don’t wear mascara every day, so it’s a good investment for me. Eye makeup always tends to smear on my oily lids but this Japanese tubing formula is magic. No panda eyes!
- Milani Liquif’Eye Metallic Eye Liner Pencil in Black: The foolproof base for my smoky eyes. I love how smooth and smudgy this pencil is. It’s like a real black, not dark gray or muddy brown.
- Physician’s Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in Ultra Black and Deep Brown: This is the only liquid liner that I’ve ever been able to use. It’s super easy to apply in a thin line (it’s a marker-style pen) and never smudges. The lash boost serum? Bonus!
- NARS Lip Gloss in Wonder: This has been my go-to lip shade this summer. It looks bright, but is actually pretty sheer and very flattering. It’s more of a soft peach on the lips than neon tangerine.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion: I actually use this to conceal redness on my lids instead of as a primer. I usually don’t put any other eye makeup over it.
Thank you Ning! I was looking at the makeup bag and thought “that looks familiar” and then I realized it… I own the same one in dusty pink from Longchamp. I love Ning’s picks, especially the NARS lip gloss. It’s been a magenta and orange summer for me and that’s one of the shades I’ve been wearing too. Anything in Ning’s makeup bag also in yours? Let us know in the comments.