Good food, great music, cheap beer, sunny weather…sigh…I am so wishing I was in Austin this week for South by Southwest. The mere thought of it makes me giddy for springtime and outdoor concerts. Just because I’m not in the great state of Texas this week doesn’t mean I’m not day dreaming of wandering down 6th street and getting breakfast tacos at Kerbey Lane. And I’ve got to have something to wear in my daydreams, right?!
Anyone lucky enough to be in Austin this week?
BB Dakota dress / OPI Do You Think I’m Tex-Y / NARS Mexican Rose / Free People Trust Bracelet Set / Frye Carson Button Booth / J Crew Straw Trilby Hat / Toms Sunglasses
Wardrobe malfunctions, botched Black Eyed Peas songs, talking babies and men in tights – yep, Super Bowl Sunday is just a couple days away. Can’t decide who to root for but still want to dress for the occasion? Lucky for you the New York Giants and New England Patriots have nearly identical team colors so you can still be in spirit without choosing sides. Check out my style picks for the most watched TV event of the year and if in doubt, stick to reds and blues. I guarantee no one will know you’re only at their viewing party for the beer and halftime show.
I’m lucky enough to be heading to Indianapolis for the game this weekend and I don’t know which performance I’m most looking forward to – Tom Brady’s or Madonna’s. Either way, I can’t wait! Will you be watching the game (or at the very least the commercials) this Sunday?
Clockwise from top left: Splendid sweater; Super Ciccio Eyeglasses; J Crew bracelet; J Brand Jeans; Rouge Dior Lipcolor; Butter London in Royal Navy; Buxom Mascara in Blue Noir; Rebecca Minkoff MAC
I’m heading to Breckenridge this weekend and to be completely honest I think I’m more excited for the après-ski drinks than the actual skiing part. This is probably because I possess the skills for the former, not so much the latter. Even though I’m not much of a skier I’m going to take the “fake it ‘til you make it” approach and at the very least try and dress the part while in the Rockies! I’ve packed cozy neutrals: slouchy sweaters, knit leggings, boots and basic accessories. When it comes to makeup, it’s all about moisture and SPF protection!
What are your must-haves when you hit the slopes, or if you’re like me, the ski chalet?
Clockwise from top left: Madewell Trapper Hat; A.L.C. Cropped Sweater; Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Tint; Sperry Trinity Boot; Gorjana Graham Leather Studded Wrap; Ray-Ban Sunglasses; Josie Maran Argan Oil
Searching for that perfect red polish? Even if you think you’ve already found “the one,” Essie Size Matters deserves a place in your nail polish arsenal. This polish is hot. Even my Boston Terrier was intrigued (that’s Betty in the background!) We were getting in the mood for watching the Golden Globes red carpet. From Essie’s winter collection, a.k.a. the collection I can’t get enough of, Size Matters is one of those perfect reds. It’s a ruby hue, that’s a little on the pink side. The kind of red that makes you feel sexy.
I was expecting to see a lot of Tangerine Tango, Pantone’s color of 2012, on the red carpet, but nude and blush hues took over. I think we’re so used to seeing a lot of color, that it was a little bit anticlimatic. BUT, that doesn’t mean there weren’t some gorgeous gowns. The Product Girl top three includes: Rooney Mara, wearing Nina Ricci; Charlize Theron, in an awesome sparkly headband and Christian Dior Couture; and Kate Beckinsale in a sparkling Roberto Cavalli. If Kate Beckinsale is not an inspiration to hit the gym hard, I don’t know what is.
What were your favorite Globes red carpet looks? Or, the ones you thought were a miss?
It’s that drab time of the year when the snow has lost its luster and the magic of the holidays is now a distant, faded memory. I don’t know about you, but I’m itching for spring to arrive – warmer weather, longer days and of course, Spring 2012 collections. Although spring is still a few months off I’m already ditching my winter greys and beiges and injecting some color back into my wardrobe and makeup routine. The spring trend I’m looking forward to most this year? Neon!
To avoid looking like an extra in Jessie Spano’s “Hot Sundae” music video, gradually introduce neon into your look with a bold accessory such as a belt or bag and work your way up to a bright blazer or blouse. And when it comes to makeup it is possible to rock the neon trend without feeling like the little girl who got into mom’s 1989 makeup case. Nail polish is always a safe way to try a new trend without the commitment and I’m loving the colors from Bobbi Brown’s “Nudes and Neon” collection – they are fun without being too loud.
Check out the neons I’m loving right now and get ready to kick the winter blues to the curb!
Clockwise from top: Deborah Lipmann Nail Colors; Adia Kibur Chain Link Necklace; Lip gloss from Bobbi Brown’s Neons and Nudes collection; Madewell’s Serpentine Skinny Belt; The Fluoro from Cambridge Satchel Company; NARS Blush in Gaiety
As much as I love living in the Midwest, the winters are harsh and I always look forward to spending the holidays with my family in Florida. I can’t wait to trade-in my winter coat (which some have mistaken for an extreme-weather sleeping bag) for some flip-flops. Since Thanksgiving I have been setting aside what I’ll be packing in excited anticipation of my trip. Below is a list of what will be in my travel bag (while leaving room for some vacation shopping!) Are you heading someplace warm for the holidays?
1. I’ve been wearing Toms shoes for years because I love how comfortable they are and it’s easy to justify buying a pair of shoes when your purchase helps someone in need! I love the colors of this striped pair, which will look great with jean shorts and a tank or short sundress.
2. I love being tan just as much as the next sun-worshipping gal, but is important to protect skin from damaging rays. Clinique has great sunscreens for face and body that won’t clog pores or leave you feeling greasy.
3. I’m glad the chambray shirt is making a comeback – it travels well and can be paired with anything. I’ll use it as a beach cover-up or tie it up over a maxi dress and add some bangles.
4. I don’t like to wear a lot of make up when I’m on a vacation…skin needs a break too! Korres Lip Butter in Jasmine is ultra-moisturizing and gives lips a natural-looking tint.
5. I hate spending time blow-drying my hair – especially in hot climates when it’s just going to frizz up. Bumble and Bumble’s Curl Conscious Reactivating Mist is a must-have for my travel case. This spray works with hair’s natural wave to give soft curls. I just spritz it on damp ends and go, no heat or styling required!
6. J. Crew knows what it’s doing when it comes to bikinis. Their shapes are classic and colors can easily be mixed and matched for a new look. I love pairing their basic blues with printed styles I already own.
Growing up, the one thing I looked forward to most on Christmas morning was opening my stocking. At the crack of dawn my sister and I would rush downstairs to the fireplace where our stockings hung to find out what treasures and trinkets awaited us. Now that I’m all grown up (or so I like to say), I love shopping for creative stocking stuffers for my friends and family – pocket-sized goodies that are a bit quirky and unexpected, but still practical. Below are some of the items on my list this year…what’s on your holiday shopping list?
1. For my sister – L’Occitane Hand Indulgences Trio. This limited-edition set comes with three shea butter hand creams inspired by Africa; Desert Rose (Morocco), Hibiscus Flower (Egypt) and Cocoa Flower (Ivory Coast).
2. For mom – Kate Spade pouch. A glitzy way to help mom dress up her cosmetics without being too over the top.
3. For my colleagues – Rad and Bad Sticky Flags. An edgy take on the boring office item, these sticky notes let you flag things ‘Hot or Not,’ ‘Dope or Nope,’ ‘Mack or Wack.’
4. For the jet-setter – Coach Travels Key Ring. Remind your on-the-go friend of places she’s been…or wants to go!
5. For the glamour girl – Essie Cocktail Bling. The name says it all – a cool and stylish color for the winter months.
6. For roommates – Marc by Marc Jacobs Heart Earbuds. A sneaky (and chic!) way for her to make the switch from those blaring iPod speakers to more apartment-friendly headphones.
7. For me! – honeydew intimates. Sexy and comfy at the same time!
It’s the holiday season! And with more parties to attend than a college freshman, I’ve found myself on a frantic hunt for the perfect outfit – one that puts me in the Christmas spirit but doesn’t make me look like Santa’s mistress (read: must avoid faux white fur trim and black patent leather belts). I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of the predictable red and green ensembles that overpopulate holiday soirées.
This year I’ve decided to save some cash (and time) and recycle an LBD that’s already hanging in my closet. To switch up the look, I suggest pairing your LBD with a bold accessory such as patterned tights, a statement necklace or a sparkly clutch. To add a pop of color to my outfit, I’ll be wearing my LBD with Sam Edelman’s Portney Pump in Watermelon – a fresh take on the candy apple red that is so common this time of year.
And a must-have for any holiday clutch is the NARS Danmari All About Cheeks Palette. In my opinion, NARS can do no wrong when it comes to blush and bronzer. This palette includes some of their best colors which flatter almost every skin tone and are sure to give your winter skin a much-needed color boost. It comes with six lust-worthy shades: Hungry Heart, Super Orgasm, Desire, Casino, Orgasm and Sin.
So, what will you be wearing to your holiday parties?